- Title Pages
- Chapter One “Que les philosophes medicinassent”
- Chapter Two The “Hydraulico-Pneumatico-Pyrotechnical Machine of Quasi-Perpetual Motion”
- Chapter Three Organic Bodies, Part I
- Chapter Four Organic Bodies, Part II: Context and Legacy
- Chapter Five The Divine Preformation of Organic Bodies
- Chapter Six Games of Nature, the Emergence of Organic Form, and the Problem of Spontaneity
- Chapter Seven The Nature and Boundaries of Biological Species
- Appendix 1 Directions Pertaining to the Institution of Medicine (1671)
- Appendix 2 The Animal Machine
- Appendix 3 The Human Body, Like That of Any Animal, Is a Sort of Machine (1680–86)
- Appendix 4 On Writing the New Elements of Medicine (1682–83)
- Appendix 5 On Botanical Method (1701)
- Divine Machines
Justin E. H. Smith
- Princeton University Press
Princeton Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.