- Title Pages
- Prologue Augustine of Hippo
- Chapter One Justus Lipsius and the Post-Machiavellian Prince
- Chapter Two Grotius, Stoicism, and <i>Oikeiosis</i>
- Chapter Three From Lipsius to Hobbes
- Chapter Four The French Augustinians
- Chapter Five From Hobbes to Shaftesbury
- Chapter Six How the Stoics Became Atheists
- Chapter Seven From Fénelon to Hume
- Chapter Eight Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Philosophic Pride
- Princeton University Press
Princeton Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.