- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- List of Tables
- Chapter 1 Institutional Transformation and Uncertainty
- Chapter 2 Constructing a Free Labor Market
- Chapter 3 Status Attainment among Emancipated Slaves
- Chapter 4 Class Structure in the Old and New South
- Chapter 5 The Demise of the Plantation
- Chapter 6 Credit and Trade in the New South
- Chapter 7 Paths to Development
- Chapter 8 Emancipation in Comparative Perspective
- Appendix A. Data Sources and Sampling
- Appendix B. Idiosyncrasy
- Between Slavery and Capitalism
- Princeton University Press
Princeton Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.