- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- Preface to the New Paperback Edition
- One The Challenge of State-Building in Africa
- Two Power and Space in Precolonial Africa
- Three The Europeans and the African Problem
- Four The Political Kingdom in Independent Africa
- Five National Design and the Broadcasting of Power
- Six Chiefs, States, and the Land
- Seven The Coin of the African Realm
- Eight The Politics of Migration and Citizenship
- Nine The Past and the Future of State Power in Africa Revised for the New Paperback Edition
Princeton Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.