- Title Pages
- General Introduction
- Chapter 1 The Geographers’ World
- Chapter 2 Conquest and Its Justifications
- Chapter 3 The Social Inferiority of Religious Minorities
- Chapter 4 In Search of Egyptian Gold
- Chapter 5 On the Shoulders of Giants
- Part II The Great Turk and Europe: Introduction to Part II Continuity and Change in Geopolitics
- Chapter 6 The Ottoman Conquest in Europe
- Chapter 7 Ottoman Europe
- Chapter 8 Antagonistic Figures
- Chapter 9 The Islamic-Christian Border in Europe
- Chapter 10 Breaches in the Conflict
- Part III Europe and the Muslim World in the Contemporary Period: Introduction to Part III
- Chapter 11 The Eighteenth Century as Turning Point
- Chapter 12 Civilization or Conquest?
- Chapter 13 The Age of Reform
- Chapter 14 The Age of Empire
- Chapter 15 The First Blows to European Domination
- Chapter 16 The Great War and the Beginning of Emancipation
- Chapter 17 Contemporary Issues
- Selected Bibliography
- Europe and the Islamic World
John L. Esposito
- Princeton University Press
Princeton Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.