- Title Pages
- Chapter 1 The Accommodation of Protestant Christianity with the Enlightenment: An Old Drama Still Being Enacted
- Chapter 2 After Cloven Tongues of Fire: Ecumenical Protestantism and the Modern American Encounter with Diversity
- Chapter 3 The Realist–Pacifist Summit Meeting of March 1942 and the Political Reorientation of Ecumenical Protestantism in the United States
- Chapter 4 Justification by Verification: The Scientific Challenge to the Moral Authority of Christianity in Modern America
- Chapter 5 James, Clifford, and the Scientific Conscience
- Chapter 6 Damned for God’s Glory: William James and the Scientific Vindication of Protestant Culture
- Chapter 7 Communalist and Dispersionist Approaches to American Jewish History in an Increasingly Post-Jewish Era
- Chapter 8 Church People and Others
- Chapter 9 Enough Already: Universities Do Not Need More Christianity
- Chapter 10 Religious Ideas: Should They Be Critically Engaged or Given a Pass?
- Epilogue Reinhold Niebuhr and Protestant Liberalism
Princeton Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.